Sunday, September 23, 2007

Training is done!


Hey everyone!! I am excited because training is finally over!! We have our swear in ceremony on Tuesday the 25th, and everyone is looking forward to the festivities. The following Saturday we're all being shipped off to our villages where we have to spend the whole first month alone! I am really nervous about it because when I went for live in the villagers all felt it was necessary to tell me that they loved the last volunteer and that I don't have Hausa. I am hoping I will be fine and meet some nice patient people to help tutor me in Hausa so I can function in the bush on my own. I took my first cow cart ride during live in 2 weeks ago, and it was pretty nice, I had to ride 1 1/2 hours through sand and millet fields to my market town and then catch a bus taxi for the 3 hour ride to my regional capital/hostel in maradi. Things are going well, I love to get mail and packages like every other PCV, and I hope to hear from you all soon!! Katie

3 comments:

CestMaVie said...

Dear Katie,
Oh my god, you are doing wonderful things. I am excited about your art project it sounds amazing. Sorry to be so short but i'm exhausted as i just returned from the library. Did you get my letter, i'm going to mail you another one soon.
<3
Sarah

G'macrouch said...

Hi Dolly face
I really miss hearing from you. I'll be so glad when you can write again. Love, hugs, kisses, and prayers. Gramma

Michelle Evans said...

Its been sooooo long since we last communicated. We got our Christmas presents :}.-Hope you got your care packages by now. I saw that Katie Buelle is being medically separated from the Peace Corps-it makes me worry about you.
Its starting to get chilly in the mornings 36-42degrees. Frosty grass sometimes. I added the cbsnews video about Plumpynut to your blog! I miss you, doll. Do good stuff and be happy! Love you, MOM

July 27, 2007-1st letter home

I just got to Africa today and its very different. It doesn't feel like I'm across the ocean or on another continent, more like the begining of camp. We met some PCV's that have been here for a year andthy are all happy & love being here.
We are all staying at the Peace Corps camp tonight & tomorrow night and then Sunday we move in with our adoptive families who we'll be living with for all 3 months of training.
I don't know how much I'll like the training, but I'm excited to be sworn in and move to my village.
There are 3 groups of volunteers; the ed, municipal and health.
I'm sleeping under a mosquito net outside right now & its not too hot. We have showers & flush toilets here but won't when we move on Sunday.
We passed a bunch of villages on our way to Hamdallay for training & there are tons of cute little babies, so I'm really excited to get language over so we can actually do our jobs.
Some things I could use that I didn't bring are
coloring books, Chaco sandals
colored pencils/sharpeners
soccer balls
a head lamp
Some earings w/studs (b/c I found out we can wear them)
rubber bands-caus I lose them a lot

Traditional Costumes

Traditional Costumes
Our Adoptive mom dressed us

Me and Erin

Me and Kellie at Training facility

Pond that forms during Rainy Season

The Village